Unit 1 Growing Up
Part II Language Focus
1. respectable 2. agony 3. put…down 4. sequence 5. hold back
6. distribute 7. off and on 8. vivid 9. associate 10. finally 11. turn in
1. has been assigned to the newspaper’s Paris office.
2. was so extraordinary that I didn’t know whether to believe him or not.
3. a clear image of how she would look in twenty years’ time.
4. gave the command the soldiers opened fire.
5. buying bikes we’ll keep turning them out.
1. reputation, rigid, to inspire
2. and tedious, What’s more, out of date ideas
3. compose, career, avoid showing, hardly hold back
1. composed 2. severe 3. agony 4. extraordinary 5. recall 6. command
7. was violating 8. anticipate
1. at 2. for 3. of 4. with 5. as 6. about 7. to 8. in, in 9. from 10. on/upon
1. hold back 2. tedious 3. scanned 4. recall 5. vivid 6. off and on 7. turn out/in
2. 1. last 2. surprise 3. pulled 4. blowing 5. dressed 6. scene 7. extraordinary 8. image.9. turn 10. excitement
1. As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2. His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking before it took hold.
3. Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production.
4. It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules. /Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules.
5. It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage. /The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
Susan lost her legs because of / in a car accident. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up to the fact that she would never (be able to) walk again.
One day, while scanning (through) some magazines, a true story caught her eye /she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she, too, would finally be bale to lead a useful life.
Unit 2 Friendship
1. Fill in the gaps with words or phrases given in the box.
1) absolutely 2) available 3) every now and then 4) are urging/ urged
5) destination 6) mostly 7) hangs out 8) right away 9) reunion
10) or something 11) estimate 12) going ahead
1) It seemed that his failure in the examination was still on his mind.
2) He was completely choked up by the sight of his team losing in the final minutes of the game.
3) She was so lost in study that she forgot to have dinner.
4) Something has come up and I am afraid I won’t be able to accomplish the project on time.
5) The cost of equipping the new hospital was estimated at $2 million.
3. Complete the sentences.
1) were postponed the awful is estimated
2) reference not available an kind of
3) not much of a teacher skips go ahead
1. to 2. for 3. at 4. from 5. in 6. to on 7. on 8. with
1. more or less 2. kind of/ sort of 3. something 4. kind of/ sort of
5. more or less 6. or something
1) choked up 2) awful 3) practically 4) neighborhood
5) correspondence 6) available 7) destination 8) reunion
9) Mostly 10) postponing 11) absolutely
1) how 2) savings 3) embarrassment 4) phone 5) interrupted
6) touch 7) envelop 8) signed 9) message 10) needed
1. Translate the sentences.
1) Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to walk home.
2) Mary seems to be very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
3) Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4) He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through WWⅡ.
5) Since I graduated from Nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
2. Translate the passage.
It is not easy to keep in touch with friends far away. This is true in my case.
It has been a couple of years since I left my old neighborhood and all the friends there. I have been meaning to write to them but things come up and I just don’t seem to find the time. They are always on my mind, however, and I think I will certainly make an effort to keep up correspondence with them in the future.
1) brief 2) in terms of 3) cut off 4) tend
5) anyway 6)precise 7)in the form of 8) initiative
9) convey 10) in two minds 11) concept 12) grasp
1) has ensured their team a place in the Cup final.
2)medical workers’ responsibility to heal the wounded and rescue the dying.
3)entertain as well as educate the learner.
4)can do without air and water.
5)is likely to be held in June.
1)lies in contact between
2)basis of is likely sufficient at the moment
3)the steady will be highly
II Word Formation
1 regained 2 undecided 3 undersupplied 4 disabled
5 precondition 6 foresight 7 mispronounced 8 enrich
1) majority 2) accepted 3)increased 4)weaknesses
5) local 6) late 7)wrong 8)false
1)highly 2)bring about 3)evident 4)rate 5)sufficient
6)put across 7)proportion 8)Hence 9)ensure
1)understand 2)travel 3)practical 4)use 5)Another
6)likely 7)affect 8)developments 9)supply 10) Someday
1) As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
2) Competition for these jobs is very tough –we have five times as many applicants this year as we did last year/ there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
3) As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economical development.
4) The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price is almost twice as much as I intend to pay.
5) To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and political background to it.
2 It is hard to imagine how our forefathers could do without so many conveniences that modern technology has brought about. Back then only a small proportion of the population enjoyed the comforts of life. The majority didn’t even have sufficient food, not to speak of/ let alone the privilege of being educated. However, many people blame modern technology for creating so many problems. They want to slow down the rate of progress. But no one can put the clock back.
1) wreck 2) balance 3) approaching 4) handle
5) discard 6) Above all 7) diet 8) do with
9) checked on 10) cleaned up 11) weekly 12) principles
1) to look for survivors were abandoned after it had been/was determined that all the people in the sunken ship had died.
2) was amazed that Bob left a well-paid job travel around the world.
3) for a loan has been turned down by many a bank as her business is small and she could provide no guarantee.
4) express her thoughts with precision, so people often misunderstand her.
5) will weaken our determination to modernize our country in the shortest possible time.
1) for sale hunting for be amazed by
2) become skilled handle their loans
3)character by calling on he passed away
II Confusable words
1. 1) personal 2) personnel
2. 1) sometime 2) Sometimes 3)some time 4) sometime
1)sponsored 2)determination 3) turned away 4) assumed 5) capacity
6)skilled 7)loan 8) character 9) hunting 10) for sale 11) send for
1)save 2)recent 3)modest 4) grow 5) dream
6) immigrants 7)business 8) engineering 9)invest 10) rich
1) It is reported that UN mediators have worked out a plan which they hope will be acceptable to both sides.
2) Doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant snakes.
3) Earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disasters cannot be prevented, but action can be taken to protect life and property.
4) I bought a new issue of my favorite sports magazine and hurried home, anxious to amuse myself reading it.
5) Helen lacks confidence. I’ve never known anyone so unsure of herself.
After graduating from college, Tony decided to start his own business. At the beginning, many a bank turned down his request for a loan. But he was not a bit discouraged, and continued to call on one banker after another seeking help. Impressed by his determination and optimism, one banker finally agreed to loan him the money. Now he has become a wealthy businessman. Talking about his amazing achievement, Tony says that it is important to create rather than wait for opportunities.
1) monthly 2) acquaintances 3)classic 4) look; in the eye 5)manufactured 6) options 7)finance
8) replacement 9) survived 10) pick out 11) married 12) grabbed at
1) survived a car crash that killed both her parents.
2) almost embarrassed to death when Sarah read my poem out to the whole class.
3) of the Children’s Hospital will care for the seriously injured pupils.
4) several phone calls making inquiries about the position of the Chief Financial Officer.
5) straighten out all your financial problems if you join our club.
1) inquiry; died of hunger; people survied2) Instantly; give up his; retire; replace him; executive 3) his beloved; odd jobs; and all that
II Word Formation
1. embarrassment 2. survivors 3. newly 4. marketable 5. monthly 6. competition 7. conceivable
1. the poor 2. The deceased/The dead 3. the disabled 4. the French 5. The accused 6. the young 7. the unemployed 8. the latter…the former…
1) died of 2) instantly 3) classic 4)ask around 5) surviving 6) retire 7)executive 8) replacement
9) stock 10) look…in the eye
1) impressed 2) diligence 3) Instead 4) Contrary 5) professionally 6) perform 7) personal
8) balance 9) commitment 10) revealed
1) I’m not sure where you can find a good carpenter---you’d better ask around.
2) Feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared his throat and looked up at the painting on the wall.
3) Michael was survived by three sons, two daughters, and his wife Elizabeth.
4) As a financial expert, William advised us to invest our money in the stock market.
5) We small retailers can’t compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales.
My dad is a hard-working executive of a manufacturing firm. He works six days a week. Every day he has to straighten out various kinds of problems so that he often stays up late/nights. However, he tries his best to balance/maintain balance between work and family. On Sundays my dad usually stays at home and cares for us as much as he can. To my greatest joy, he cooks our favorite dished and plays ball with us.
1) Fertile 2) Reflected 3) Overseas 4) Slim 5) Split 6) Sustained
7) Glow 8) Thrust 9) Keen 10) Bud 11) Previous 12) Whichever
1) The sickly smell of carpets and furniture in the bedroom disgusts me.
2) Mary stopped corresponding with Henry after the death of her mother.
3) A radio transmitter is best located at an isolated place far from cities.
4) I was so absorbed in the game on TV that I didn’t hear Martin come in.
5) The rough surface of the basketball helps players grip the ball.
1) to broaden; make their way
2) disgusts; take a chance on
3) the grand; and overseas; reflected
1. 1) frightened 2) afraid/ frightened
2. 1) alike/similar 2) similar
3. 1) alive 2) living
4. 1) sleeping 2) asleep
1. 1) disappointed 2) disappointment 3) disappointing 4) disappoint
5) disappointingly 6) disappointing
2. 1) attractive 2) attract 3) attraction 4) attractively 5) unattractively
1) Identifying 2) gripped 3) margins 4)corresponding 5) overseas 6)little 7)hesitate
8)grateful 9) made my way 10) going my way
1)first 2)ring 3)Nor 4) another 5) threw 6) deliberately 7) reasoned 8) himself
9) restaurant 10) matter
1) Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
2) Never tell my parents about my injuries and I’ll be very grateful to you (for it).
3) At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions about improving our working environment.
4) The management has/have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.
5) It was very thoughtful of the hostess to give the house a thorough cleaning before we arrived.
2. Not rich himself, Uncle Li never hesitates to help others. Previous to/Before his retirement, through Project Hope he located the addresses of two country kids who grew up in poor families but had a keen desire to study. From then on he sent them money regularly. Later the two made their way to college, and even got a chance to study overseas.
1下载券 全新版大学英语综合教程... 19页 免费 Writing for myself 2页 7下载券全新版大学英语(第二版)综...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语(第二版)综合教程 3 答案 Unit 1 P3:After Listening Complete the following statements according to what you have heard. 1.taking a break ...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程1(第二版)答案_ - 全新版大学英语综合教程 1(第二版)答案 Unit 1 Growing Up Part II Language Focus Vocabulary Ⅰ...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语【第二版】综合教程1习题答案 - 外语下载中心 http://down.tingroom.com 全新版大学英语(第二版)综合教程 1 课文翻译 Unit 1 Vocabular...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程1(第二版)课后答案(修正版) - Key to Exercises (unit 1) Vocabulary: I. 1). respectable 2) .agony 3...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程1答案 - Unit One Text A: Language Focus Vocabulary I.Blank-filling 1. 1) respectable 2) ...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程1(第二版) Text B 课后练习答案_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。全新版大学英语综合教程(第二版) 1 Text B 课后练习答案 Unit One ...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程(第二版)课后习题答案【综合教程1】_理学_高等教育_教育专区。全新版大学英语综合教程(第二版)课后习题答案 【一】全新版大学英语综合教程 ...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语第二版综合教程4 text B 课后翻译 - unit1 1.) The fifth was chosen for D-Day to allow a safety margin ...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语(第二版)综合教程3 答案 UNIT 1 Vocabulary I. 1. 1) on balance 5) illustrated 9) involved 2) resist 6) budget 10) economic 3) haul...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程第二版第4册课后习题答案-U1 - 第六课 Old Father Time Becomes a Terror Richard Tomkins 1 Once up...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程2Unit5课后答案 lisiyuan11o |2018-06-26 | 2.1分...全新版大学英语(第二版)综合教程学生用书3课后习题... 4.4 分35245人阅读 ...[本文更多相关]
VIP感恩回馈 开学季 买1得3 全新版大学英语综合教程2第二版答案unit2-7 wodii123 |2018-07-01 | 4.4分(高于99%的文档)|8246|98 | 举报 马上扫一扫 ...[本文更多相关]
创新大学英语2综合教程(... 暂无评价 2页 全新版大学英语第二版综... ...大学英语综合教程1重... 大学体验英语综合教程2课后翻译答案(全 ) ...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程第一册 Unit2_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。学习资料全新版大学英语综合教程第一册 Unit2 发布时间:2006-02-23 Unit 2 Friendship Part I...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语第一册综合教程练习答案及课文译文 - Text Organization i. Parts Paragraphs Main Ideas Part One Paras 1-13 W...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语综合教程第一册 单词汇总 - ○1○1○1○1○1○1 New Words and Expressions off and on from time to time; som...[本文更多相关]
全新版大学英语第一册综合教程练习答案及课文译文 - Appendix I Key to Exercises (Units 1-8) Unit 1 Part I Pre-reading Task...[本文更多相关]